The Mount Martha Rural Fire Brigade was formed following a meeting at “Rycroft”, the home of Dr. Downie on September 8th 1951. Many of the foundation members were members of the extension of the Mornington Bush Fire Brigade at Mount Martha, established on February 1st, 1942 and later re-named Mornington Rural Fire Brigade.
The foundation members were, Robert E. Baker, Reginald l Free, John Pingiaro, Areno Ferrero, Domenic Pingiaro, Vern Russell, John F. Ferrero, Frank Pingiaro and Wilfred l. Smith. The Mount Martha Brigade was registered on October 8th, 1951.
The first fire vehicle was a Chevrolet Blitz and was orginally garage at Pingiario’s home and later at the rear of the Women’s Royal Australian Army Corps (WRAAC) building – now known as Mount Martha House. The brigade’s first fire station was in Langrigg Avenue being occupied between March 1957 and 1988. The brigade moved to it’s Latrobe Drive site in 1988. The Mount Martha Fire Bridage now has approximately 80 volunteers which are made up of active fire fighters, the brigade support team, the brigade social club and the juniors. The brigade is supported by career staff in areas such as administration, training, support services and fire fighting.